Last night reminded me of the importance of sleep; in this case my lack of sleep. For some reason my mind could not stop thinking after a discussion I had with my wife, just before going to bed. I was awake most of the night, thinking things through. This is very unusually for me as I normally do not worry that much.
A good night rest is very important to me. I need the full 8 hours. Without it I can not function well. Normally I am a happy, joyful person, but without sleep I get grumpy and cannot concentrate.
This lack of sleep reminded me today of the importance sleep has on our body and mind. On this blog I frequently post articles on personal development and communication; but without enough sleep or rest, even the best personal development technique will not work.
With the help of several cups of coffee I was able create 10 suggestions, based on personal experience, on the importance of sleep:
- Listen to your body. Take some rest when you feel tired. Your body needs time to regenerate.
- Get a good night rest. For most people this means 7-8 hours sleep every night. Do not spend too much time watching TV in the evening.
- Do you need to work late? Make sure there is some time left to relax after finishing work. Going to bed right after doing the job isn’t a good idea.
- Do not involve yourself in important conversations just before going to bed. Chances are you will spend a long time thinking them over, keeping you awake (yeah right, I wish I knew this sooner).
- Do not eat a meal right before you go to bed. Your body is still digesting the food.
- Talking about food: A heavy meal (e.g. eating a huge steak) will keep your stomach busy for hours.
- Don’t drink too much alcohol. A good chance you will wake up in the middle of the night (or in the morning with a headache).
- Without enough sleep you will not function optimal. Tests have shown that even your IQ will drop considerably.
- Exercise regularly. You will sleep better.
- Are you reading this post in the middle of the night? Shut down your PC and go to bed!
Now it’s time for me to get some rest!