Remember this famous line from the Shawshank Redemption movie “Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying”?
Are you living your life or is life living you? Most people get into a routine were they do not have time (or allow themselves) to contemplate, read books, educate themselves, spend time with the people they love or be happy. They go through life living the same pattern: Quickly get up in the morning, shower, get breakfast, commute to work, do their work, rush back home, eat, maybe go to the gym and spend the rest of the evening exhausted watching TV. It is almost if those people live their lives in a dream, not fully awake. Before they know it another year has past: life is living them, instead of they living their lives.
Now with some adjustments to your daily schedule, it is possible to break this cycle. And guess what? If you do this you will find out that life is not a drag, but can be fun and rewarding. Below are a five tips that can make a huge difference:
- Why not get up just a little earlier every day, take it more easy in the morning, meditate or just spend 10-15 minutes thinking and planning the day ahead? You will find that this will set stage for the rest of the day. A good start is half the work!
- Do not take life too serious. Try not to control every situation and do not resist change, as change is perfectly normal. Did you know that “control freaks” have the highest chance for a burn-out or depression?
- While commuting to work, why not listen to an audio book? Most people own an Ipod and with services available such as http://www.audible.com, http://www.nightingale.com or http://librivox.org (public domain) you can have access to thousands of books or programs. Now driving in your car is no longer boring and stressful but can be fun and educational.
- Do not take things for granted and enjoy every moment. Try to notice where you are and especially look at the little details. It will surprise you what will see. I’ll bet you will be more thrilled by that little bird singing in the tree than that twenty floor office building.
- Can you remember what was on TV last night? Good chance to can not. Try to limit the time you are watching TV and it will surprise you how much free time you actually have. Spend more time with the family, reading a book, spend time on your favorite hobby or take a class.